Bolo De
Berlim
Ever since I left Portugal 10 years ago, I've been dreaming of the pastries I left behind. The Bolo de Berlin was my favorite, it's similar to a cream puff, only it's about the size of a softball and tastes like heaven. Thanks to the help of a few friends, I finally found the recipe online and translated it to English. It's a little intimidating, I've never made pastry cream and rarely make anything using yeast. But my wonderful, amateur cook, husband has a little more experience and made them this weekend. They are very similar to what I remember. And if you're brave, here's the recipe for you to try too!
The dough has a lemon zest in it, which I don't remember tasting in the bolos in Portugal, but we liked it in this recipe.
Filling (Pastry Cream):
1 c milk
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/3 c flour (i would try A/P)
2 egg yolks
1 whole Egg
Whisk together yolks, egg & flour in a bowl
Heat milk & sugar in a saucepan until begins to boil
SLOWLY whisk milk & sugar into eggs, so not to cook eggs
Put back in saucepan and stir on low until thickens (I would do this in a double boiler or the eggs may curdle)
Dough:
4 1/2 - 5 c flour (we use bread flour to make cream puffs, try that or A/P)
1/4 c yeast (there was no specification as to whether this is a dry or fresh yeast, so you'll have to experiment. i would try dry)
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 c milk (scald first)
1 stick butter (i would use unsalted)
Zest of 1 lemon or orange
3 eggs
salt to taste
flour for dusting
oil for frying
sugar or cinnamon sugar
Put flour in a large bowl, make a hole in the center & add milk.
Add yeast to the milk in the center of the flour. Knead in a little of the surrounding flour to make a soft ball in the center and let the yeast grow. Remove the yeast from the middle of the flour.
Add sugar, zest & butter to the flour in the bowl and knead together. Add the yeast and add the eggs one by one while kneading until it peals off the bowl or counter.
Form into a ball and let rise until double.
Once risen, divide into pieces (about the size of your palm) form into balls and arrange on a tray dusted with flour (make sure to leave space between the balls)
Allow to double in size
Fry in hot oil. Turn to fry evenly.
Drain off excess oil, pat to dry and roll in sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Poke a hole in the side and fill with pastry cream using a pastry bag.
My friend Linden is a pastry chef and helped interpret the "baker's lingo", most of her additions are in parentheses.
I should also add that the picture above isn't what ours looked like. That beauty is just how you'd find it in a Portuguese pastry shop. Our's weren't quite as pretty, but still tasty!
Ever since I left Portugal 10 years ago, I've been dreaming of the pastries I left behind. The Bolo de Berlin was my favorite, it's similar to a cream puff, only it's about the size of a softball and tastes like heaven. Thanks to the help of a few friends, I finally found the recipe online and translated it to English. It's a little intimidating, I've never made pastry cream and rarely make anything using yeast. But my wonderful, amateur cook, husband has a little more experience and made them this weekend. They are very similar to what I remember. And if you're brave, here's the recipe for you to try too!
The dough has a lemon zest in it, which I don't remember tasting in the bolos in Portugal, but we liked it in this recipe.
Filling (Pastry Cream):
1 c milk
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/3 c flour (i would try A/P)
2 egg yolks
1 whole Egg
Whisk together yolks, egg & flour in a bowl
Heat milk & sugar in a saucepan until begins to boil
SLOWLY whisk milk & sugar into eggs, so not to cook eggs
Put back in saucepan and stir on low until thickens (I would do this in a double boiler or the eggs may curdle)
Dough:
4 1/2 - 5 c flour (we use bread flour to make cream puffs, try that or A/P)
1/4 c yeast (there was no specification as to whether this is a dry or fresh yeast, so you'll have to experiment. i would try dry)
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 c milk (scald first)
1 stick butter (i would use unsalted)
Zest of 1 lemon or orange
3 eggs
salt to taste
flour for dusting
oil for frying
sugar or cinnamon sugar
Put flour in a large bowl, make a hole in the center & add milk.
Add yeast to the milk in the center of the flour. Knead in a little of the surrounding flour to make a soft ball in the center and let the yeast grow. Remove the yeast from the middle of the flour.
Add sugar, zest & butter to the flour in the bowl and knead together. Add the yeast and add the eggs one by one while kneading until it peals off the bowl or counter.
Form into a ball and let rise until double.
Once risen, divide into pieces (about the size of your palm) form into balls and arrange on a tray dusted with flour (make sure to leave space between the balls)
Allow to double in size
Fry in hot oil. Turn to fry evenly.
Drain off excess oil, pat to dry and roll in sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Poke a hole in the side and fill with pastry cream using a pastry bag.
My friend Linden is a pastry chef and helped interpret the "baker's lingo", most of her additions are in parentheses.
I should also add that the picture above isn't what ours looked like. That beauty is just how you'd find it in a Portuguese pastry shop. Our's weren't quite as pretty, but still tasty!


No comments:
Post a Comment